We all know that exercise is good for us and necessary for good health. So why do so many of us find it hard to exercise on a regular basis?
At LiveEachAdventure.com we believe it has to do with enjoyment. We can have all the head knowledge in the world but if we don’t enjoy doing something we won’t do it.
And whether we are talking about getting fit or losing weight, the same applies. We know in our head that we should eat more greens and consume less saturated fats, but until they can make a lettuce taste like a hamburger, dietitians are going to have a battle on their hands!
[Tweet “Until they can make a lettuce taste like a hamburger, dietitians are going to have a battle!”]
In order to understand how to exercise more regularly, it might be helpful firstly to state the obvious reasons why exercise is good for you. These include:
- it keeps your muscles toned and strong which assists you move more easily through your day with less difficultly
- your weight is more easily maintained at the correct BMI
- it helps reduce the incidence of sickness and disease
- it assists with and improves your attitude, reducing incidences of depression, stress and anxiety, and
- it has anti-ageing effects.
So, with all those good benefits to enjoy, let’s think about ways to make exercise happen more regularly. One of the hardest things we find to do is to sit on an exercise bike that doesn’t go anywhere or allow us any opportunity to mentally engage with our surroundings.
And we know many others who find the same with any static gym equipment such as treadmills and weights. So what can we do to actually put some enjoyment back into our exercise regime?
The answer is to find activities which you can enjoy at home or close to where you live that will engage both your mind and body. The above photo was taken on a bush walk close to our house which allowed us to gain some great exercise in a stunning landscape – and take a few photos along the way.
So think about what you love to do and find a way to do that as a regular form of exercise. Some great examples include:
- learn to play a musical instrument (did you know that playing an hour of Elton John hits on your guitar will leave you in a sweat?)
- dust off the Wii or XBox (start a family challenge on different games of tennis or bowling)
- learn martial arts (get fit and learn some great self defence)
- find a rock climbing wall (find out just how nimble you are, or aren’t)
- and then of course you can also go hiking, swimming, ride a bike, skating, surfing, walking, go on a photo walk, or take the dog for a walk.
Whatever you love to do, there is bound to be some indoor or outdoor activity you can do regularly which will exercise your body, engage your mind, and give you a heap of enjoyment. And don’t be afraid to mix them around. Go swimming today and play sport tomorrow. Go hiking on the weekend and get out the Wii during the week.
You just need to make the decision to do it.
Let us know how you go, and what you love to do to keep fit.
Living each adventure,
Chris and Trev Barre
Please help us to share our travel, photography & art, and lifestyle adventures, and encourage others to live theirs by
leaving a comment below
subscribing so we can keep you advised by email of new posts (top right-hand side of the page),
consider sharing this article with your friends, and
following us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/liveeachadventure
[contact-form][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Website’ type=’url’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]