Whether you are looking for nutty, crunchy snacks to keep in the fridge, or a warm dessert to have with custard or cream, this little recipe will be sure to satisfy the whole family. And it is so good for you, they will be coming back for seconds!
- 1 cup of mixed, dried fruit
- 1 cup of pitted dried dates
- 1 cup of almonds (or other suitable nuts)
- 1 cup of pecan nuts
- 1 cup of choc chips
- 1 cup of peanut butter
- Half a cup of honey
- 4 tbsp of chia seeds
- 1-2 tsp of mixed spices of your taste
- 1-2 tbsp of water if needed.
- Prepare a suitable tin by lining it with baking paper. The tin will be going in the fridge, not the oven and can be a loaf or square tin of your choice as long as it is not too large
- Gradually add all the ingredients into a food processor, pressing down the mixture as needed and adding dry, then wet ingredients until it is just combined. Do not over process as you still want the nuts to be large enough to be crunchy. You want the final mixture to be slightly wet or it will be too crumbly when it sets
- Once combined, scrape the mixture into the prepared tin and press down firmly with a dampened spatula
- Place the tin into the fridge and leave for several hours until it is firm enough to slice (30-60 minutes in the freezer will do the same if you have room)
- Once set, lift the slice out of the tin using the baking paper to assist. Place it on a cutting board and use a large, sharp knife to cut it into slices (we initially cut it into 12 slices, but then ended up cutting it further into 24 squares to later enjoy as snacks (note, this is best done with the knife being dipped in hot water and wiping down the knife edge before each cut).
- The finished slices/squares can then either be placed in an airtight container in the fridge, or warmed slightly in the microwave before topping with custard/cream/icecream.
This recipe is NOT suitable for those with any nut allergy or for small children who cannot eat nuts.
Living each adventure,
Christine and Trevor
ONLINE FASHION STORE
Empowering people to live a healthy, active, authentic and fulfilling life.
Adelaide, South Australia.
If you haven’t yet subscribed to the LiveEachAdventure.com blog, pop over to the side of the page and drop us your email address so we can keep you informed. Please leave a comment below, and do check out our social media channels on Facebook,Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest so you can be kept up to date as we share this great journey of life with you.
DISCLAIMER: This article is written for informational purposes only and is based on Christine and Trevor’s own life experiences. No food featured on this site should ever be consumed or handled if known or suspected allergies exist. Nothing featured here should be taken as medical, professional or legal advice. It is always recommended that you consult the appropriate professional before changing any routine or adopting any new procedure.