Recipes: How to make the perfect custard
If you love sweet, thick and yummy custard, then you are going to adore today’s recipe as we teach you how to finally make the perfect custard. Keep reading to find out how.
- 800 ml (3.3 cups) full cream chilled milk
- 6 tbsp of good quality custard powder (we used Foster Clarks)
- 1 tbsp good quality Vanilla Bean paste
- Quarter cup of castor sugar.
- Use a large saucepan to heat 600 ml (2.5 cups) of the milk
- While that is coming to the boil, whisk the remaining milk in a large jug with the castor sugar and vanilla bean paste to fully mix it together
- As soon as the milk starts to boil, turn it down to simmer and slowly pour the contents of the jug into the hot milk stirring continuously as you do so with a wooden spoon
- The mixture should thicken almost immediately and after a few minutes the custard will be able to be removed from the heat and poured back into the large jug
- It will start to set straight away so either serve immediately as a dessert topping or accompaniment, or cover with cling wrap and refrigerate to enjoy later
- If we are making it for later, we have six 125 ml (half a cup) plastic containers (previously bought with yoghurt or chocolate mousse) which we pour the custard into to create individual serves for later. These are then covered in cling wrap, allowed to cool and placed into the fridge.
We bet you will love it as much as we do. Please leave us a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. And keep in mind that the recipe can be amended to suit your individual tastes. Less sugar can be added, or alternate sweeteners tried out. You can also make your own custard powder if you wish as well. We have tried milks with less fat or long life brands and have a personal preference for full cream varieties. But that’s just us!
And if you enjoyed today’s recipe, take a look at ‘How to make yummy cheese, meat and egg slices‘, and don’t forget to subscribe on the side of the page so we can keep you updated in the future.
Living each adventure,
Christine and Trevor
ONLINE FASHION STORE
Empowering people to live a healthy, authentic and fulfilling, personal and business life.
Adelaide, South Australia.
If you haven’t yet subscribed to the LiveEachAdventure.com blog, pop over to the side of the page and drop us your email address so we can keep you informed. Please leave a comment below, and do check out our social media channels on Facebook,Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest so you can be kept up to date as we share this great journey of life with you.
DISCLAIMER: This article is written for informational purposes only and is based on Christine and Trevor’s own life experiences. No food featured on this site should ever be consumed or handled if known or suspected allergies exist. Nothing featured here should be taken as medical, professional or legal advice. It is always recommended that you consult the appropriate professional before changing any routine or adopting any new procedure.