Followers of this blog will know that we recently took a plain ALDI cake mix and transformed it into yummy fruity muffins. Well, we called back into ALDI today to see if we could buy all the ingredients we needed to make tasty and very healthy fruit and nut bars. Keep reading to see how it went.
We wanted to try an old dessert recipe from some time back and wondered whether our local ALDI store would sell all the necessary ingredients to make delicious fruit and nut bars.
As we walked around the isles, we soon had a trolley full of yummy ingredients and knew we would be busy in the kitchen later.
Check out the recipe and photos to see just how easy it was to make, and store them away for the family to enjoy during the week.
An added bonus of course was that we were able to buy everything at ALDI at cheaper prices than our other local supermarkets.
- 2 cups of dates
- 2 cups of oats
- 1 cup of dried fruit
- Half a cup of pecans
- Half a cup of almonds
- Half a cup of chocolate pieces (optional)
- 4 tbsp of honey
- 2 tbsp of dessicated coconut
- 1 tsp of bi-carb soda
- 1 egg
- Place the dates into a saucepan and just cover with water (about 2 cups will do). Bring to boil and simmer for ten minutes
- Prepare a greased loaf tin or line it with baking paper
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- An easy way to break up the nuts and chocolate is to place them in a freezer bag and bash them with a steak tenderizer!
- Add all the ingredients to a large bowl, adding the softened dates and leftover water
- Mix all ingredients together, adding a tbsp or two of water if too dry
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and press down
- Place the tin into the oven and cook for around 20-30 minutes until golden brown
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire tray
- Once cool we like to remove the loaf from the tin onto a cutting board and place in the fridge for several hours to fully set
- Once set, use a very sharp large knife to cut in half lengthways and then cut across into smaller bars
- Consume or place bars into an airtight container in the fridge.
It can be also served straight from the oven as a warm dessert, and it is delicious when served with custard, cream or ice cream.
If you enjoyed today’s recipe: ‘How To Make Healthy Fruit And Nut Bars using all ingredients from ALDI‘, take a look at ‘How To Make Yummy Sticky Date Pudding In Your Slow Cooker!’ You will love them. And if you love Protein Balls, check out ‘How To Make Nutella, Oat And Nut Protein Balls‘.
Please don’t forget to subscribe so we can keep providing you with awesome recipes.
And in case you are new to our recipes, we have found this great resource for you to check out as well.
Living each adventure,
Christine and Trevor
ONLINE FASHION STORE
Empowering people to live a healthy, authentic and fulfilling, personal and business lifestyle.
Adelaide, South Australia.
If you haven’t yet subscribed to the LiveEachAdventure.com blog, pop over to the side of the page and drop us your email address so we can keep you informed. Please leave a comment below, and do check out our social media channels on Facebook,Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest so you can be kept up to date as we share this great journey of life with you.
DISCLAIMER: This article is written for informational purposes only and is based on Christine and Trevor’s own life experiences. No food featured on this site should ever be consumed or handled if known or suspected allergies exist. Nothing featured here should be taken as medical, professional or legal advice. It is always recommended that you consult the appropriate professional before changing any routine or adopting any new procedure. We provide relevant links in each post to services or products of relevance to that topic. Many are unpaid links, while others may be affiliate links. They are included because of their relevance above all else.